Tuesday 7 February 2012

Cover to Cover- Happy Birthday Charles Dickens

So, today (would be) Charles Dickens' 200th Birthday! Well, if he wasn't dead... Anyway, in appreciation of this, I'm taking some of his greatest books, finding three covers for them from, well, anywhere, and choosing my favourite.  Do the same in comments?

Onwards...




A Tale of Two Cities
A Tale of Two Cities (Illustrated Classics)Kisah Dua Kota (A Tale of Two Cities)A Tale of Two Cities (Wordsworth Classics)
Illustrated classic, English, Sterling ; Indonesian, Elex Media ; English, Wordsworth Classics
I've never actually read this, so I can't comment on the suitability of these, but I have to say the Indonesian is my favourite. Guillotine covered in roses? Pretty....

A Christmas Carol
Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol- Special Church Edition   Racconti di Natale (A Christmas Carol)  Ein Weihnachtsmärchen
English, Stephen Skelton ; Italian, Mondadori; German, Hayne
None of these are particularly great... but I think the German has the cutest depiction of Scrooge. I think it would be nice to have one with the ghosts on the front.


Oliver Twist
Oliver Twist (Transatlantic Classics)   Oliver Twist (Dodo Press) (French Edition)
Spanish, Transalantic Press; English, Modern Library; French, Dodo Press
I like the simplicity of the English edition, but the French cover is nicely done too.

Great Expectations
Great Expectations [Japanese Edition] Great Expectations, 1861 (In Russian Language)Great Expectations: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)
Japanese, Shinchosha; Russian, Detstvo. Otrochestvo. Yunost; English, Penguin Classics
I like the illustrations that come on the front of the English, and I get the idea that it's carried on inside. But the Russian is so pretty, and you just wonder about what Estella is doing... I like the Russian cover best.

I know I could go on and on...but I won't. What do you think of these covers? And are there any covers for his other books that should have been mentioned here, but weren't? And is anyone doing anything special for  Dickens' 200th?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE CHARLES DICKENS! One of my favourite classic authors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read this!
Comments are much loved.
Nina xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...