Wednesday 17 August 2011

Waiting on Wednesday #20 Steampunk! An anthology of Fantstically Rich and Strange Stories


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by Breaking the Spine where we show off books that we want to read but have not been published yet. 

Title:  Steampunk! An anthology of Fantstically Rich and Strange Stories
Author:  Kelly Link (Editor), Gavin J. Grant (Editor), Garth Nix, Christopher Rowe, Kathleen Jennings, Dylan Horrocks, Holly Black, Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Cory Doctorow, Shawn Cheng, Ysabeau S. Wilce, Delia Sherman, Elizabeth Knox
Release Date: 11 October 2011
Link to / Summary from Goodreads: Imagine an alternate universe where romance and technology reign. Where tinkerers and dreamers craft and re-craft a world of automatons, clockworks, calculating machines, and other marvels that never were. Where scientists and schoolgirls, fair folk and Romans, intergalactic bandits, utopian revolutionaries, and intrepid orphans solve crimes, escape from monstrous predicaments, consult oracles, and hover over volcanoes in steam-powered airships. Here, fourteen masters of speculative fiction, including two graphic storytellers, embrace the genre’s established themes and refashion them in surprising ways and settings as diverse as Appalachia, ancient Rome, future Australia, and alternate California. Visionaries Kelly Link and Gavin J. Grant have invited all-new explorations and expansions, taking a genre already rich, strange, and inventive in the extreme and challenging contributors to remake it from the ground up. The result is an anthology that defies its genre even as it defines it.
Why I want it: Because steampunk=awesomeness. I love the whole steampunk and the aesthetic and the whole blend of Victiorians and futuristic elements (more raving about this can be found here, on my Happy Steampunk day post), but the majority has been for the adult market. YA has recently been getting some more, such as Clockwork Angel and The Girl in the Steel Corset, but I still see a lack of the stuff out there…. And then there’s a whole collection??

What are YOU waiting on this week?

16 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. While Steampunk isn't my favorite genre, I tend to enjoy it from time to time.

    Thanks for sharing. :)
    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, a steampunk anthology with some great authors and new to me authors! Great pick!

    Our WOW pick is at Book Sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read a few more Steampunk books but I'm getting there! :D
    Great choice, I'm going to have a look at it.
    This is My WoW. Feel free to pass by and have a look.

    Hugs,

    Alaiel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore steampunk books - this sounds great.

    Here's my WOW pick :)

    Kat
    Wit and Sin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, some amazing authors with their names attached to this! Libba Bray <3 I've only really read one steampunk novel, shamefully, but I'd really like to venture into that genre more. Definitely keeping my eyes out for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good books. =] Thanks for commenting on my blog.
    -Michael
    thebookshelfreview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. this one has a great cover!! love steampunk :)

    Check out our WoW post.

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really starting to enjoy steampunk books myself, and I'm looking forward to trying this one out as well.

    Here is my WOW: http://inlibrisveritas.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/wating-on-wednesday-6/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heart Steampunk, but I haven't read any of the books. I know, loser, right? Maybe I should start with this since it's a collection of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooohhh, a steampunk anthology. Steampunk sure is getting revved up these days. Trying to segue into the subgenre by reading The Girl in the Steel Corset.

    Anyway, I read any manga that I take a fancy to as long as it's not hentai, yaoi nor yuri.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this on Good Reads and have it on my TBR. It sounds like it will be an amazing read! Great pick!
    http://alaskanbookcafe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anthologies are hit or miss for me, but I love me some Steampunk! Fab pick this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the steampunk look, but am yet to read anything in the genre yet. This sounds pretty appealing!! Fab WoW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally returning the WoW visit. I completely agree with this pick! I can't wait to read it. I love steampunk and short story collections, so this sounds like a complete win. Great choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, this looks so good! I haven't read any steampunk yet, have a ton on my list, but that list never seems to get any shorter lol. Going to add this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh there is some great authors in that list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read this!
Comments are much loved.
Nina xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...