Tuesday 27 September 2011

Book Review-Death, At Death's Door by Jill Thomspon


Title: Death-At Death’s Door
 Author: Jill Thompson. Characters created by Neil Gaiman
Series:  Sandman-Death
Published:   July 1st 2003 by Vertigo
Length: 192 pages
Warnings: Fantasy violence, nudity,
Source: Bought second hand
Summary : A member of the Endless, a family of beings who have existed longer than the gods, Death enjoys manifesting herself in the persona of a young Gothic girl. Along with her siblings, she interacts and influences the lives of humans on a daily basis. In this manga-style adventure, Death's little sisters, Delirium and Despair, have thrown a party at her apartment for hell's escapees. But as the festivities get out of control, it falls on Death's black-clad shoulders to regain order and save the afterlife. Printed in black, white, and gray tones, this trade paperback weaves an eccentric tale of danger, romance, humor, and fun
Review:  This is a book vaguely tied into Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, with a different spin on it. It focuses on Death rather than Dream, and has a completely separate storyline. Lucifer abdicates and gives the key to Hell to Dream who doesn't particularly want it. And while Dream hears from rulers of other Underworlds as to why they should claim Hell and its inhabitants, said inhabitants leave. And end up in Death's apartment and at some point start having a party. The story is generally Death, with sisters Despair and Delirium, trying to work out how to send the  partyers back to Hell where they should be, and how she can save her carpet.
I read the Sandman series some time ago and didn't really get what the plot was(don't shoot me. I only read Preludes and Nocturnes and I don't get what happened. I'll review it another day...). However I read this and really enjoyed it.
It's a much lighter and easier to read take on the Endless. As well as Death, we also see a lot of Despair, Delirium and a bit of Desire(who looks too much like a feminine Elvis for me). It's a nice way of getting to know them.
The concept and plot was good. Any party that is literally from Hell is, by me, worth checking out. And it was done very well.
The sub plot of Dream and his old lover was interesting, another facet to the Sandman we didn't see in the first book. 
I like the way the mythologies were woven together-Lucifer having his domain, and then rulers of other underworlds having theirs, and when Lucifer leaves said other rulers can come and ask for the key. Sorry if this is hard to understand, but it was hard to explain. You'll have to read the book to understand what I mean.
The art was good. As I said, Desire looks too much like a feminine Elvis for me to like him, but the other character designs were good. I like the way Thompson put her own spin on the appearances of the characters while still keeping their distinguishing features, such as Death's ankh and eyeliner.
Overall:  Strength 4 tea to something for fans of the Sandman comics and  anyone looking for a quick fun read.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! This is one of my favorites - Sandman was what got me into comics in the first place, and I think I've read everything that even vaguely ties in with it in some way - but this has to be one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on sale the other day, I'll have to pick it up the next time! Love the cover.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to read this!
Comments are much loved.
Nina xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...